Sunday, September 2, 2018

No more rush to finish a book

Was trying for the blackout in the Library Book Bingo again this year.  Blackout is 24 books.  Even though the deadline is technically Tuesday, and even though I technically could have finished a couple more books by then, I decided to turn in what I had today.  It was kinda' fun to do last summer, I was immobile for most of it with foot injuries, so had lots of time to read.  I finished 16 (I think) this summer, and got part-way through about eight others.  Several of those I just returned, I'll probably do the same with the rest.  It's good for me to be more aware of where I'm giving my time/energy/money/life.  I don't think I have any obligation to finish books that had become a chore to read, take on work that wasn't mine to carry, etc.  I'd like to not always find myself buried in the weeds; I'd like to begin to follow the good, good for me.  Believe I'm allowed to have good things.  It started to feel like a requirement, even if I put it on myself, and it's the end of the summer, a beautiful weekend, and I want to enjoy it.  This is all new territory, and good for me to be aware of; to put into practice.  (Also, I have had a headache for a good day now, and don't want to read anymore.  Partially, earlier dehydration, partially, possible food-born illness, lite.)

I will say though, I like participating in the challenge.  It helps nudge me to get around to reading books that I've been meaning to read for a while.  I like getting suggestions from friends.  I like that the categories expand my horizons, get me out of my reading auto-pilot.

Pretty much all new housemates as of this weekend (except the man that lives next door to me.)  So far, the household feels pretty social again, that past year was very anti-social overall.  Fingers crossed things work out well.  For all my complaints, my landlord does often find good people to move in (there have been a few scary people, but that's been true every place I've lived.)  I'm guardedly optimistic.

I should go to the garden, been over a week since I've been.  Planted beans, and had a nascent cantaloupe, should see if it's still around.

No comments:

Post a Comment