Monday, July 5, 2021

Lazy Summer Day

 I've been watching at lot of British food-related shows on YouTube, and in my head I have begun to think "courgette" for zucchini.  However you call it, I'm cooking the second one, and gave a couple to the Food Bank.  I tried to get to the garden early, but it was after 11 am before I left.  The cloud cover held for a bit, but as soon as it starts to get hot all my energy is zapped.  Did manage to cut back the cardoon (probable) and the chard that's all gone to seed to create a little breathing room for the other plants.  Next time I'll need to search and make space for the watermelon plants.

I watched three movies after I got home yesterday: "Jaws", the first Harry Potter, and "Children of Men." Taking a break from the last to go up on the roof to watch (very small and far away) the fireworks show from Bellevue, I think.  We are one of the lower buildings in the neighborhood, so blocked a little by new construction.

I thought about going back to meet with the Giving Garden folk, because I enjoy hanging out with them, but maybe I'll finish one of the overdue library books instead.  They meet at 5 pm, and it's already 3:30 pm.  (It's a work holiday.)  I've just gotten around to making lunch.  One of the shows I've been watching has to do with how much money people are spending on groceries and eating out, and it is inspiring me to pay more attention to how I'm spending money and what I'm wasting.  (And it reiterates for me how much more expensive groceries are here as opposed to what they pay.  Unless you live near a Trader Joe's or Grocery Outlet.)  Also, the heatwave helped with that, too.  My apartment was close to 100 F for three days and I'm not all that sure how safe any food not in the fridge still is, so I'm tossing it.  (I've tried looking it up, but can't really find a good answer.  And there were other random times that my food cupboard got quite warm.  I did move all my canned food out of the cupboards, put legumes and tea in there.)  And that's a bit of a wake-up call to use stuff quicker rather than keep it on hand.  I think I have it because it makes me feel safe, like I'll always have something to eat in an emergency, or if I run out of money.  It's from being poor in the past, and feeling unsafe and insecure, constantly in survival mode.  But it leans toward hoarding.  I'm going to try using what I buy for short amounts of time (a week?  two weeks?) and show myself that I can live in the present. (This is canned stuff, I guess in the event I don't have a stove or something.  I still have pasta, and dried legumes, and I use those on a regular basis.  I didn't toss the latter two.)

I need to rearrange, too.  I don't have space for the A/C unit as things stand.  (It connects to an awkward place on the wall, next to the broadband connection and to where I sleep.)  They are supposed to come by and set it up on Wednesday.  Just in time for smoke season, if not the heatwave.

No comments:

Post a Comment