Saturday, October 8, 2016

Saturday evening

Another night, waiting for a bus.  Students, back in town, populate the evening sidewalks, so no lonely waiting.  The sidewalk doubly-protected from the rain by both a walnut and a spruce tree.  From the safety underneath the branches, I watch the rain (really, more of a mist, though it looks dramatic as it swirls under the light, being moved in one direction, then another, on the whim of the wind) and it billows like snow, if it were only colder.  At any rate, the rainy season has returned: got drenched several times today.

The first gig tonight was an auction, the second, and organ dedication.  On the final movement of the last piece (Symphony No. 5 in F minor Op. 42 No.1, Charles-Marie Widor, the Toccata, to be specific), I had the urge to run to the aisle, and lie down to listen to the sound move through the space.  Somehow I imagine in this instance, it might be acceptable, but I don't do it.  Thoughts of paintings at the Art Museum that were meant to be viewed from below, and not at eye level.  How the docent suggested lying on the floor to view them, and how I did go back to do that when there were fewer people in the gallery, security unfazed by my action: I wanted to view how the artist intended.  And I think the organ, in it's fullness, was meant to be heard from the middle of the room (there are pipes in both the front and the rear of the space.  The ones in the back were out-of-commission for decades.)  We only sang one song in the actual concert itself, though more in the dedication part of the evening.

Still working on "Coal Miner's Daughter," as we opted for a rehearsal without camera last week, and I need to run my piece for the Fringe show in class soon.  I have a pretty good sense of context (it was written as a stand-alone monologue, so I had to make it up), but we were just told to pull it together on our own and show up before the performance.  The comment I get most of the time, is that I haven't made each thought distinct enough (in general), and I suppose it's because I was thinking that what I was saying was one thought, so I haven't been breaking them down enough as to what I want and how I'm going about getting it. Also, I think it's supposed to be two minutes, and I'm sure I'm running longer right now, so I'll need to cut out pauses, and make them more strategic: it's actually quite a bit of text.

I hope someone recorded the concert, would like to hear how it went.  I was on the end and could only hear the person behind me, and the person next to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment