Sunday, January 1, 2017

Starting over

It's a new year (Happy New Year!), the sun is shining, and it's cold.  I'm doing this thing today where I devote 15 minutes to one thing.  Might only last for the day, might be a longer term thing...don't know, but I've been pretty scattered, and unmotivated.  Finally was able to drag myself out of the house late yesterday for an early New Year's/birthday party, just as hail began to fall outside.  I went to the bus stop anyway, rain poured, and snow was predicted, but we didn't get any.  Lot's of black ice this morning, though, half-way down the front stairs, and grabbing the mailbox for support, I wondered to myself, "Is this a good idea?"  Slipped a few times, and ran for a bus (bad idea with ice, did break two ribs falling on ice a few years ago, but catching it would mean less ice to slip on overall), and made it to the U-District in one piece.  Now it's mostly melted.

The other thing I'd doing this month is a money fast, no eating out, no going out, or buying coffee, etc (though I do have to renew a couple of memberships).  It'll help me see where I am mindlessly spending, and also, I'd still like to take a vacation this year, and will help save for that.  There was another resolution somewhere in the back of my head, something about giving up sugar, or increasing the amount of vegetables I ate.

Part of the 15-minute thing is to re-learn both Finnish and Spanish.  The Finnish will be harder as there is no translation in the textbook, and the words all look familiar...I must still have some notes, somewhere.  That started because I wanted to remember how to say, "Happy New Year!"  (Not in the book.)  I had to look it up online, but my guess was close, just spelled wrong; and now my 15 minutes are up:

Hyvää uutta vuotta!

No comments:

Post a Comment