Wednesday, May 17, 2017

I just found this

A woman from a group called the "Camino Companions" that work out of the Pilgrim's office in Santiago, had offered me a cup of coffee and said if I needed to talk about my experience she was available.  I hadn't thought I needed that, but there was a lot going on in my head, not the least of which was saying out loud the pain and anxiety I'd been feeling for months, things not directed at me, but that I feel nonetheless because I give a damn about others, the not sleeping, the broken or breaking of something inside, and then all the experiences and insights I had while (willingly choosing to be) an outsider, an "other," a "them."  The not being "enough."  The things I didn't feel like I had the "right" to feel or express, and so didn't know what to do with them, because I did feel them.

Anyway, my housemate just asked about my trip (I didn't realize anyone knew I had been gone, I'd only told my landlord.)  And after trying to explain it, I came upstairs and found these poems/thoughts, etc., that the woman I'd spoken to had handed to me when I was getting ready to leave.  I'd meant to read and think about them on the trip home, but that's a whole other adventure, so that didn't happen.

This is one of them:

Trust in the Slow Work of God 
Above all, trust in the slow work of God.
We are quite naturally impatient in everything
to reach the end without delay.
We should like to skip the intermediate stages.
We are impatient of being on the way to something
unknown, something new.
And yet it is the law of all progress
that it is made by passing through
some stages of instability-
and that it may take a very long time.
And so I think it is with you;
your ideas mature gradually-let them grow,
let them shape themselves, without undue haste.
Don't try to force them on,
as though you could be today what time
(that is to say, grace and circumstances
acting on your own good will)
will make of you tomorrow.
Only God could say what this new spirit
gradually forming within you will be.
Give Our Lord the benefit of believing
that his hand is leading you,
and accept the anxiety of feeling yourself
in suspense and incomplete. 
 - Pierre Teilhard de Charding, SJ

No comments:

Post a Comment