Sunday, June 10, 2018

Sunday

The crow gets me as soon as I get to the sidewalk, swoops down from the apartment roof across the street, just when I think the coast is clear.  The baby is in the tree just beyond our front steps.  I went to the coffee shop to write, first time in a long while.  A crow was waiting again for me, this time in the alley as I made my way back home.  Right before the walkway to the back door, I was greeted with a sudden agitated cawing.  I tossed out a piece of an omelette I was carrying, it appeased a different crow, one I wasn't aware of, who dropped down out of the neighbor's yard to snag it, but I was able to get into the house.  Can hear angry cawing outside, down the street; another interloper to ward off.  Sigh.  I'll need to get a big hat or something.

49 degrees this morning: Junuary, indeed.  High today is only 60 F.  My watermelons sprouted a couple weeks ago, but have been dormant since.  Now it's too cold to transplant.  Had a staged reading last night.  Our call was 7 pm, left with what I thought was sufficient time, and decided to take the light rail rather than the bus, as bus got stuck in traffic and I was late to rehearsal earlier in the week.  Made it to the U-District by bus on way to the light rail station, only to be stuck in traffic once again, having forgotten that it had been the UW's graduation earlier in the afternoon.  Beat the predicted rain, or so I thought, and made it to the International District with a little time to spare, so walked to Pioneer Square for coffee, and as soon as I got to the counter to order, I looked out the windows to see people covering their heads and cowering under awnings in the sudden downpour.  So I got drenched afterall.  At least the plants I have in the ground are getting adequately watered.

Wanted to stay for the talk-back after the reading (the play was about Enron and it's aftermath), but didn't relish waiting at my bus stop Downtown late, so, asked a friend that was leaving for a ride.  He was taking a car share.  Put in both our addresses before his phone died.  Driver took him home, but the reservation had dropped my address.  My friend got out of the car and left me there, not concerned if I got home safely or not, saying some incoherent thing about his cat being outside.  Making me feel like I shouldn't have taken him up on his offer to be able to ask him for a ride.  I guess it should've been enough that he showed up to the show (I appreciate that, I do.)  The driver said he'd take me home if it was less than two miles, which it was, so he did.  I could've walked, I suppose, but I appreciated him taking me home: it was late, deserted, and there's an unavoidable sketchy stretch.  I made it home.

Have notes for myself regarding the performance, but it's all a learning experience, and it was fun.  Makes me want to make more of an effort to do it more.  I have so much to catch up on.  Finally have the energy, and the time.  (Bought workshop access, online, months ago, that I haven't had the energy to devote myself to, but am finally coming back into clear enough mental space...three of them, actually.)

The wind is kicking up, I can see trees waving, and birds flying close to the window.  I'm working later today, but rains means I can stay inside until then...maybe the crows will let me leave the house in peace.

The rain has begun.

No comments:

Post a Comment