Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Day off

Another decadent weekday off.  Made a list of things I should do at some point, but there is a beauty in the idea that I don't have to accomplish any of them today.  I thought earlier that I would anyway, but it's already after 3 pm, and I've added stuff to the list, just so that I can check them off.  It's funny too, how usually it's just one or two things that are important to get done, but I'll pad the list out with "Take Vitamins," "Go for Walk," which I will then proceed to do, just so I can feel like I did something, when what I really need to do is "Make Phone Call," or "Send Email Reply."  I waited too long to get around to "Do Laundry," but snuck in between someone else's...didn't realize he was actually home.  It's all figured out now.

Ducked into the library just as it was starting to rain again, got a walk in between showers.  The clouds are moving swiftly, so the rain doesn't last all that long.  Thumbed through cookbooks while I waited for it to pass, then went and ate comfort food (i.e., Mexican...actually, second time today.)  And was blinded by the sunlight glaring off of the wet pavement as I finally made my way back home.  It was balmy, almost 70 degrees this afternoon, which is ridiculous for late November.

I need to make something for a Thanksgiving dinner I'm going to.  Said I'd make cranberry sauce and a pie, might make a cauliflower thing, too, but kinda' depends on how bad the weather is, and what buses are running tomorrow.  It's supposed to rain.

Out of my window I can see a bunch of white birds circling the sky, when they catch the sun, they glow like glittering lights against the dark clouds, slowly drifting to the east, until they are out of sight.

Went to a play last night, a PWYC night at Seattle Rep.  It was sold out when I got there, but they still sold me a Standing Room Only ticket, said it was the last one.  I got to sit in the end.  It was "The Humans" by Stephen Karam, basically centered around a family's Thanksgiving dinner, dysfunctional, but relatable in that dysfunction (which was obvious in the laughter, tears, and at least one time, shout, from the audience.)  About the choices we make to survive, to get by, to cope, and how a single decision can drastically, and in this case irreversibly, destroy the future you had planned for.  The more I reflect on it, the more I like it.  The casting was outstanding as well.  It was wonderful, and really sad.

When the play got out, the rain was just dumping down.  It rained so hard that Mercer St. pretty much flooded from Warren Ave N to 5th Ave.  5th and Mercer was a lake.  I ducked into the QFC (grocery store) to grab a sandwich, and on my way back out, three clerks were standing under the awning outside, watching the SUVs throw up walls of water as they drove through the intersection.  Surprisingly, was not flooded at the bottom of the hill, but my clothing was all still wet this afternoon, hence, the laundry.

I'm gonna check the laundry, and get some writing in.

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment