Thursday, November 23, 2017

On Thanksgiving

When I was caught in the torrential rain, I was/am thankful that my destination kept me sheltered from the storms.  Thankful for the electricity and heating.  Thankful for a stove and the ability to easily prepare food for myself.  Thankful for my job.  Thankful for the cheerful messages written on the coffee cups this morning, by people who had to work this morning instead of being home.  Thankful for the choirs that I sing in, for the community, the music, and experiences being a part of them has brought into my life.  Thankful for the daily proximity to nature.  Thankful for my garden, for the creatures that live there, for the chance to get my hands in the dirt.  Thankful for my education, and the twisted path that has taken.  Thankful for art in my life.  Thankful for music.  For music and stillness and touch when words are not enough.  Thankful for my family, and my childhood friends.  Thankful for all the people in my life, for those who have offered unconditional love, and for those who have offered challenges; the first because they believed in me and gave me courage, and helped me to love myself, and the latter because they helped me to grow and be a better version of myself.  I'm thankful for the privilege to travel, and for the community that has come into my life from that.  I'm thankful for the rain, and sunlight, and snow.  Thankful for the seasons, and the migrations of birds.  Thankful for trees and water and sky.  Thankful for all the strangers (and friends) that have taken me in, for shelter, for celebrations, for support.  Thankful for all the friends i have now.  I'm thankful for 2nd, 3rd, 4th chances, thankful for the effort.  And I'm thankful for being alive now, in this moment in time.

No comments:

Post a Comment