Tuesday, August 17, 2010

cooking terms

When I returned to work last week, my boss said that I could take all my time off visiting my father as sick leave, and since I had previously requested this week off as vacation, she told me to go ahead and take it. I'm at home at the moment. We're still in our heat wave and though the house got down to 80 F last night, it's already into the mid-80's inside. It's 11 am. I was going to go to the beach earlier, but my foot really hurts, so haven't done much walking yet today. All of which has given me time to search further for the term "fondo de res." It was used in a recipe I saw on vme cocina over the weekend. A plum sauce with cordero...sheep? I'm interested in the sauce, as I attempted to make a sour cherry sauce a couple of weekends ago, which turned out okay, but not great. Anyhow...the last ingredient the chef added was "fondo de res" and on tv it had a consistency of peanut butter, and from "de res" I was assuming it was beef something. While running errands yesterday I went by the Spanish Table (http://www.thespanishtable.com/) to ask if anyone knew what it might be. The man at the front didn't know, tried to google it with no luck, and then called his mom, who thought "fondito" and consume, but she wasn't sure. He then suggested I check a Mexican grocer, in the Pike Place Market, so I did. The woman at the counter had no idea, suggested another grocer down the block, who also didn't know but sold fresh corn tortillas and tamales, so I ate lunch. So...this morning I finally googled "Cooking+Mexican+Fondo de res" and came up with Mexican cooking terms, where I found the definition "broth or consume made from soup bones, or a reduced stock," at www.lomexicano.com/mexicanfoodrecipeglossary.htm#f . So some sorta' thickened broth, texture was interesting. De res would mean beef, I guess. I need to find another way of thickening/finishing the sauce, maybe butter, or a cornstarch slurry. Probably am not going to use it for "cordero" at this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment