Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Later

Well, I missed the actual workshop (that was last night), but learned about the calls, traditionally, cows were herded by pre-teen/teen girls, disappeared with industrialization of farming, though, in Norway, there is now a requirement of outside grazing for cows for part of the year, so some people are learning the calls again.  Peggy Larson did a presentation including calls and songs.  I'm still intrigued with learning how to do it, but that'll be more of an effort on my part to seek out someone to teach me.  (Sorta' thing you could strain your vocal folds/throat with if you tried to do it without proper warm-up, breathing, etc.)

The event I ended up at was more of a business meeting/dinner/fundraiser/program.  A friend had said it was okay if I showed up, so I did, not knowing what it was.  She just let me in, but I ended up donating the cover anyway, so it all washed out.  I knew two people there, plus the accompanist came in and sat next to me, and I'd sung with her in the past (though, we hadn't ever spoken much), didn't know she was a jazz pianist.

It was an interesting evening, and oddly, the most comfortable I've been in a room in ages (not that I'm usually uncomfortable, but as if I'd always been a part of it and it was perfectly natural for me to be there, if that makes any sense.)  Not sure what that was about, but I still feel that centeredness now that I'm back home.  Hard to explain, but I'll take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment