Friday, January 1, 2016

A New Start

First picture of the year, January 1/L Herlevi 2016
A new year dawns clear and sunny (and freezing.)  I looked at the clock and thought, "Well, I can go for a walk before the Farmer's Market."  Walking toward the lake some bit later, it did dawn on me that it's actually Friday and not Saturday; and then felt the double joy of not having to be anywhere in particular, and of the first day of a long weekend.

The water was a clear, glossy mirror.  The warm light of the rising sun, cast an orange glow.  The ground was covered in a hard frost, long shadows laid out before me: trees, buildings, people, me.  Ice formed in patches along the shoreline, and someone had tossed yellow mums across, petals strewn.
Someone left flowers, January 1/L Herlevi 2016
I started walking, I looked up and the air was full of swirling gulls, large-winged bird among them: a Bald Eagle.  The happily waddling Mallards made a dash to the water, and an explosion of ducks ran for cover.  The eagle landed in a tall tree and sat there, observing the houses opposite the lake.  Two crows cawed from nearby trees, too cold to make more of an effort.  Further on, N. Shovelers in a tight group, circle, beaks in the water, dredging up food.  The sun brings a little warmth, but my fingers are freezing, even with two pairs of gloves.

I gave up alcohol and sugar for the month, starting today.  I'm staring down this box of chocolate someone in my office gave me for Christmas, I don't think I actually really like the ones that are left.  Had been happy to find they included lemon/dark chocolate ones (and I've already eaten those), probably my all-time favorite (along with salted chocolate), it's an odd choice, and they had no idea I liked it.  I should probably get it further away from me.  Some things are habit.

Had meant to go through the boxes again last night, but didn't.  Didn't really do anything.  I heard the fireworks go off at midnight, so, at least I was awake.  I have washed everything that was cloth.  There is a lingering smell of mildew on everything else, which sorta' sealed the deal for me to recycle it...the smell did wash out of the clothes, but I'm still giving them away.  I was waiting for the recycling bin to get emptied, but lost steam.

Turned in an application for one of the things, called about another, but at the moment, everything is in limbo.  I'm okay with that.  They are not the only choices.  Everything feels wide open...it's the sun and the long weekend.
The rising sun, January 1/L Herlevi 2016

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment