Sunday, June 19, 2016

Done!

We finally finished the filming last night.  The actor that drove me home and I left around 2:30 am, and the director and crew were finishing up single shots with the actor that had missed the second night.  It was pretty chilly, I was the only one not wearing a jacket, because my character wasn't wearing one earlier, my arms were freezing.  At one point, while we were waiting outside the van while some interior shots were being finished, the actor (that missed the earlier shoot) gave me a giant towel to use as a blanket, which was thoughtful.  Also, there were no rats, or insects, but this bunny rabbit showed up, mind you this was shot in an industrial zone near the freeway, not prime rabbit habitat.  Odd, but the bunny was cute.  (This was also like 1:30 in the morning.)

The set was a bit toxic, not sure if that was a method acting thing or not (but after three nights of continually hearing some version of "stupid f---ing b---h" aimed in my direction, on and off set, ("you didn't even know your line, you stupid f---ing b---h!" then proceeded to miss their next three takes, all of which was on camera.)  I finally just gritted my teeth against it, and ignored it...which is bad in the sense of not working off of someone, but necessary for my own well-being.  And I just wanted to get through it.)  At one point, the police man that was on set asked me what that was all about, said I didn't deserve to be treated that way, and proceeded to give me a hug, adding that I was a good person.  (And no, I wasn't crying, I had gotten to the point where I was trying to block it out.)  I can't answer what that was about, I know it happens on sets (and much, much worse, think of Dustin Hoffman to Meryl Streep during the filming of "Kramer vs. Kramer", or Stanley Kubrick (allegedly) to Shelley Duvall in "The Shining"), but even if that is your process for getting in your character, should you pull someone else into your warm up process without letting them in on that first?  I mean, otherwise, it just feels abusive.  (And if it's personal, why bring it onto the set in front of everyone rather than deal with it before the need to escalate it to a level of rage?  I mean, you don't have to like me, that's a given, but this was a work environment.  And yeah, I forgot a few lines, but so did everyone else, including that person, and no one else got that level of vitriol, or any at all.)  The characters weren't actually written as hating each other.  It was written as a comedy.

Anyway, glad it's over.  I won't be going to the screening, not because of any of that, but because I have class, and we are doing a public showcase the following day, and for the longer performance piece we've been working on, that'll be the first day we are all in the room together to run through it.  Plus, I really like the class.  I hope I get to see it.  (I don't know, maybe I was being called those things because my acting was bad, still...and no, it wasn't the director, can't imagine him doing that.)  It felt a bit disjuncted working on it, and I'm curious how it'll look in the end, plus there's always something to learn from it, and it's good to have the closure of the end result.  I'll have to ask him to send it.

No comments:

Post a Comment