Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Back to it

Already awake, heard a crow caw, first from one side of the house, than the other, so looked out the window: Nothing.  Shortly after going back to bed, "BOOM!"  Someone in the neighborhood lets off a super loud firework.  Reverberation.  Why????  Who lets off a firework at 5 am?  Just the one.  I had to get up anyway, but a lot of people must've taken today off, very light traffic.

And I like watching the fireworks.  I was watching more sugar-related videos (health consequences, more on that in a later post), to kill time before walking down toward Lake Union.  Checked the time, 10:20 pm, figured I could leave at 9:40 or something.  Didn't actually get out of the house until 10 pm.  No one around.  Tried to walk fast, as I'm on the back side of a hill, and thought that if I could get to the ridge I would be able to see them...not in reality, too many trees.  Finally, figured out that I was too far to the east, so walked over to my old street, and made my way down to a park near the bottom (where I've gone before, long ago).  At various points running down the hill, and then stopping and walking because I felt sorta' dorky for running to look at fireworks.  At any rate, saw about the last ten minute, and then managed to walk most of the way home with people around.  (Not usually the case.)

Got in an extra couple of miles for the day, in addition to the beach, and the stairs to and from the beach.

Bought everything for the nocino, couldn't find a large glass container, so found a growler on sale (narrow neck, but will probably work with the walnuts chopped), and two bottles of juice, which were also on sale.  Not gonna do it tonight, so, guess I'll get up early.  The recipes vary pretty wildly, where some add the sugar at the beginning, but most at it as a syrup after 40 days.  Some say place in cool, dark place to sit, others say to put in the sun.  Another one says to pour the sugar over the walnuts, set in a sunny spot for two days, bring back inside and cover with the alcohol...wildly different starting points, though all say 40 days more or less, before straining.  We'll see.  Hopefully, it's not a bad thing that I have metal lids, some pictures had regular canning jars with metal lids, other recipes specifically say glass, but those are hard to find in the 'hood.

(And I know why I rarely buy alcohol, even on sale, the taxes on the bottle added another $10 to the price. So the bottle listed at $14, ended up being $24.  Yikes!  Not how I usually would spend money.)

No comments:

Post a Comment