Thursday, October 12, 2017

Inner courage

I wrote this in a notebook recently, not sure where I originally found it:
"Let mystery have its place in you; do not be always turning up your whole soil with the plowshare of self-examination, but leave a little fallow corner of your heart ready for any seed the winds may bring, and reserve a nook of shadow for the passing bird; keep a place in your heart for the unexpected guests, an altar for an unknown God." 
- From Amiel's journal, translated by Mrs. Humphrey Ward. 
Dreamscape/L Herlevi 2009
 In general, I agree with the sentiment.  Someone suggested a book in this on-line support group, and so I'm examining dark, abandoned corners, hoping to change.  It's those patterns that got programmed young, but now how I automatically respond or act.  The things that probably had their place at one time, but have become constricting and detrimental over time.  I'd like to not always be making my own life harder than it needs to be.  I'd like to get out of my own way.  I'd like to occupy space (to go back to what I kept being told in Meisner, but am understanding more.  Or to quote Kate Winslet's character in that Christmas movie, I'd like to be the leading lady of my own life, and not the support player.)

Wish me the humility and courage to walk through it.

No comments:

Post a Comment