Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Stuff

The rescheduled Ibsen rehearsal left me with more time to go over the whole scene, and for cooking.  I had been planning on going straight there, but a sudden rain storm, and then a break in the weather, helped to change my mind, and I went home first (after drinking coffee and going over my class/script notes.)  I had nothing waterproof, and I didn't want my script/notes to get soaked.  Checked email to verify the time only to find the rehearsal had been cancelled, otherwise, I would have just shown up.  Trying to work with everyone's schedule is like herding cats.  Now we will try for Wednesday, before class, and I'll be late, which is lame on my part, but there's a volunteer party for the exhibit I've been working at, and I'm broke, and we'll get fed.

There's a script description of Thea as being kinda' weak and timid ("quietly" "desperately"), but then there is subtext in what she says, and what she's done, and the idea that she's the character that represents "courage"...she embodies what Hedda might do (choose what she wants, i.e., Eilert, who has reformed himself, through Thea, and come back to town), but lacks the "courage" or will, to do.  She (Hedda) lacks the will to choose her own happiness, and chose safety, in marrying Tessman, instead.  Anyway, the script notes make Thea sound mousy and clueless, and yet she throws the first volley after entering the room by suggesting she go speak to Mr. Tessman, and it just keeps escalating.  And her acts of courage go against the idea of weak, she chose her own happiness, regardless of any scandal that will bring; she's the strongest character in the play, she's willing to lose everything.  Anyway...all this is to say, I still need to decide if I'm addressing my words to Eilert, as encouragement, or to Hedda, as a challenge.  Could go either way.  Just have to decide what I want.

Shakespeare seems like some far-off memory, we'll have had three weeks off by the time we're back together.   At least I know my lines.

Sibelius is in less than two weeks, and I was just reminded that I'm working a fundraiser this weekend, so I guess snowshoeing is out for now.  (Random, I know.  Got invited to go up to the mountains on Saturday.)

I was excitedly pointing out to everyone I had contact with last night, the full moon and Jupiter.  Will be even closer tonight, if it's clear.  After 9 pm, I believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment