Wednesday, June 15, 2022

New City, Still Hot

 Made it to Burgos midday. I almost missed my bus, driver was pulling away from curb by the time I figured out how to use the door, everything has become touch-free, but I was confused if it was a door. Anyway, he let me get on the bus, even got off to let me stow my backpack in the hold.

It was pretty full, but since it's mandatory to wear a mask on public transport, everyone was. And that was good, as there were several people coughing and sneezing, including person right behind me (I'm writing on my phone and it keeps auto-correcting me.)

Anyway, by the time I started walking it was really hot, and I drank a whole bottle of water in the first km or so.  This place is nice, outside the city, west, I guess.  I ended up booking another hotel for tomorrow, though I can't keep doing this.  Also, it's closer than I want to be, but tomorrow will be the hottest day, and everywhere close, i.e., next 20 kms, is booked.  I got a lot of time to kill tomorrow. Someone told me that people are leaving at 4:30 am to beat the heat.

I went back to an ermita I'd passed earlier. It was still open, the sign seemed like there should be a Mass, but there was a groundskeeper working and a woman sitting on a bench but she got up and walked toward the gate when I passed.  No one inside.  I got a bit emotional.  Hard to explain.  Tiny space, a figure lying in repose taking up most of the aisle.  The ermita is for St Amaro?  French, I think.  Anyway, I touched his feet, put my palm against each of his soles; they felt real, the shape, the way my hands held against them.  Asked for a blessing of my feet. Santiago was at the altar, asked for a pilgrims' blessing since I began my journey in a bus station.  After I moved my hands away from his feet, the building started creaking. And yeah, there is wind blowing, and it's a very old structure, still, it was a bit spooky.  When I walked back out the groundskeeper and the woman were in deep conversation.

I bought some fruit on my way back, then went to the bar nextdoor. Strong cross breeze blowing through.  Out through the back door, there's a big playground.  And in spite of the heat, people out for evening stroll, at the playground, having picnics in the park.  I would've stay, but have to get up early.  I can hear the people outside, both bar patrons and playground.  Alas, I can't hear the music, was really enjoying it, kinda 80's music, but Spanish.

It's too light out to sleep.




No comments:

Post a Comment