Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Rehearsal

Been bumping into my past a lot lately, somewhat awkward, but not necessarily bad.

And I know it's a small thing in a chaotic world, but this director/writer I'm working with right now is a dream director for actors; I'd work with him again in a heartbeat.  He knows what his vision is, he communicates it well, and he's focused, uses the time well.  And I think the directors coming out of this film program are all gonna be good.  They know how to work with actors, and that's not as common a thing as you'd think.  They listen.  What you can give to an actor is blocking, motivation (discuss it with them), and an action, one action at a time.  You can't act an emotion or a vague concept, you can want something, need something, do something to get it, and emotions flow out of that.  You walked in believing one thing, and found a different one altogether; what does that do to you?  How do you adjust to get what you want?

Creation of film or theatre is a collaborative process.  No one is any more important than anyone else, not in the larger frame of things.  We're all better for the recognition of that.  It elevates everyone.

And between this, the Shakespeare, and the other film project, everything I've learned is starting to click, I'm instinctively beginning to do the type of work I want to be doing...maybe I can do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment