Thursday, March 17, 2016

Thursday

Well, two down.  Both new doctors (for me), and both exceptionally kind, but have to schedule a scope of my stomach, as soon as I find a ride.  Also, getting a cortisone shot in my wrist, he was incredibly understanding about pain reduction.  Have a dentist appointment next week, hopefully, nothing unexpected out of that.

Went to The Oddfellows Cafe after and ate breakfast, needed to calm down all that instinctual fear that rises up and screams out warning signals before going back into work.  (I find the anxiety about the future worse than actually dealing with the thing, and I've decided I've been anxious for so long, I need to face it.)  It's a good people watching place, and I like the space, a large box, full windows on one side, sunlight streaming in, high ceilings, Irish music playing beneath the din of indistinguishable voices that reminded me of flocks of birds.  It was crowded.  I ate my food, all the while eavesdropping on the next table's conversation (something about teaching social justice.)

Walked out to catch a bus, only to realize the nearest stops are gone, so walked half-way down Broadway to find one; the bus I needed pulling up just as I got there.  A good morning for a walk, the air quickly warming from an earlier chill.

Our script is going through a revision, but we sat and discussed our characters and motivations last night, and I like the collaborative feeling of the project, that it's a partnership and not a one-man show.  All of us could easily be caricatures, but I think we all want to be as truthful as possible, to find the humanity there.  That is the job of an actor.

A former choir director wrote me a long email inviting me to check out an early version of a performance project she's working on.  The gruff department manager always picks up my mail for me when I'm not here.  Our custodian retired last week after 31 years on the job, I went to her retirement luncheon, her colleagues made all the food for it, which was delicious.  I mentioned that to one of her co-workers, and she told me she'd stayed up all night making food, because she was her friend.  And then we received flowers yesterday, from the one who retired.  I'm happy for her, it's a hard and thankless job most of the time, but I will miss her.  I like her.  Just never know how you touch someone else's life.

Watching, March 16/L Herlevi 2016

Sheltering, March 16/L Herlevi 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment