Friday, August 19, 2016

Enjoying what breeze I can get

Something Like Summer, August 11/L Herlevi 2016
The hot breeze is better than no breeze, though I did have to re-drop one of my window blinds, as the breeze was not strong enough to overcome the heat from the late afternoon sunlight still streaming in.  On the whole though, slightly more pleasant than yesterday.  This being the hottest day of the year thus far.

 Took a detour on the way home, via grocery store, iced coffee stop, the lake.  The lake is packed, people strewn across the sand, paddleboards/boats plying the water; can't remember last time I witnessed that (back in the 80's?  I rarely go to the beach.)  And then I remember that we're coming into the last hurrah of summer, since schools are already gearing up to start, two more weeks.  When I was in high school, we'd already have started sports practices by now, at least unofficially (ran x-country.)  And at the lake, the earlier treatment has worked to keep the toxic algae at bay, so the water is cleaner; over the past few summers, it would've been pretty smelly and soup-like by now.

Tomorrow, the choir has a singing engagement mid-day, out on the Peninsula.  I mentioned it would be in the 90's, but wasn't able to persuade anyone to not wear the traditional costumes, which are heavy and wool.  There will be air-conditioning in the building, but still, 90 degrees, in a heavy wool dress won't be a lot of fun.  Will have to stay hydrated, I guess.  I've taken to carrying water on stage already, my throat gets really dry from all the high singing.  And our set is 30-35 minutes.

Last week, went to a free, outside, dance performance.  I sorta' saw two of the groups, but the crowds were much greater than the organizers were expecting (someone mentioned to me that they usually get 800 or so people, and it was in the 1,000's) so it was hard to see the groups in the more enclosed spaces.  A lovely evening to be out, so watched the sailboats chase each other across the water, marauding hoards about to make landfall (in my imagination), and walked down to the beach to sit for a while, watch the sunset.  On the way to the bus stop, saw a tv in a bar showing the Olympics (gymanstics), so stopped in and ate tacos.  As it got darker, went to catch my bus.  Had a bit of a wait, so sat on a bench and looked at the pictures in my camera.  A succession of people sat beside me, the last of which was breathing heavily.  When I glanced over, he had a lighter in his hand and started smoking something (no idea what it was.)  He saw me looking at him, and offered it to me, I declined, but there was something rather considerate in the offer.  His breathing calmed down, and whatever it was, it didn't make him agitated in any way, so I stayed.

Saturday, made it out to the "Out of Sight" art exhibit at the King Street Station.  Only open on weekends, through the end of the month.  It's up on the top floor, second year.  I love the space.  I love that there are huge works of art that can be site specific.  And I'm saddened to hear that the current plans for the space are for offices.  Seems like a shame to me (and I guess I should go to the next public hearing).  Artists have lost a lot of space in the city, whether that be from buildings being torn down or converted to office/condo/overpriced apartments, etc., that I hate to see this space have the same fate.  There is a lot of vacant office space, not a lot of vacant space for artists to work (especially photographers, where the high ceilings and natural light are more of a factor.)

Stopped by the Seattle Yukon Museum.  Haven't been there in ages.  They run a 25 minute film on Seattle and the Gold Rush.  I was slightly amused to notice there were more people in that theatre than in some movies I've gone to (30 or so?)

Reminded me of a long (dormant, as of late) fascination I've had with the Yukon Territory.  I should probably go soon.  I decided earlier in the week that I'll take a vacation in April of next year.  Will give me a few months to save.  Spain or Quebec, depends on airfare, and I can stay longer in Spain for the same amount of money as Quebec.  So, no Yukon, yet (and I want to go there in the winter.)  That'll be about five years since I've taken a vacation.  Right now, I have tuition coming due, so have to figure that one out.

Too hot now, to remain in the attic.  And my skin is burning: seemed to have become an insect magnet.

No comments:

Post a Comment