Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Show

Not sure what I witnessed, exactly.  Came in a little late, after missing the bus.  Ran to the theatre, hoping they'd still let me in (they did.)  Had to wait in the stairwell, and was mid-way through reading the "rules", at a point where I was supposed to say something out loud that began, "I will be brave..." when the door opened and I was let in.  The program was a map of the space, as well as an invitation ("You are Chosen"), to a party, that the actors are also chosen for.  And so throughout, there was an anxiety regarding what this party was for, what it meant to be chosen, and what the right outfit for the occasion might be (white, wedding-type dresses.) There were signs in each room (where you could wander in and out of at will) of what was expected, but I only remember actually seeing two of them.  I put make-up on someone, and screamed with a few people (which was fun), and drank tea, had red chalk put on my arm, and helped with a dress...and it was interesting, but I don't have the program, and I'll have to re-read what I've seen written about it to grasp it further.  This would be "Girl" at Annex, an immersive theatre piece.  (One review spoke of a Hero's Journey, and another of what we expect of women.)  In the end, we were led into the theatre (later I saw there were paper cut-outs of clothing, like on a wash-line, hanging up behind us), where the "girls" sang, wearing white dresses, and wrapped their waists in cords, in some sorta' ritual, and then a large, white envelop dropped from the ceiling, for their efforts.  Inside was a letter that read, "You Choose."  And one by one, they exited the stage, and then we all exited the building.

No comments:

Post a Comment