Thursday, November 20, 2014

Wednesday

Find I was free, saw a Facebook post regarding a closing night show, tickets $5, so I went.  "Horse Girls," by Jenny Rachel Weiner at Annex.  Campy and fun, for being a bit of a slasher.  The girls are supposed to be about twelve-years old, obsessed with horses (yes), but only one (Anastasia Higham as Margaret) really pulled off the young age.  Rest came off as mid-teen.  It was cute, I liked it.  thought the lead did a good job with emotions, I don't know who the actress was, they didn't have any programs left.

I've decided that my problem is that I'm not risking enough.  I think about it, but I don't follow through; I'm holding back.  It's the knowing what I need to do, but always finding excuses of why I need more information before actually acting on it.  Had a conversation with a friend about it last weekend, there is a point where you need to stop always reading the acting books, and actually practice the exercises.  He was saying the same thing about himself.

Anyway, decided to go back to Emilia and Frankie for the monologues.  Tried to daydream for Frankie this morning, about what's going on with her at that moment before she's asking him to leave.  Couldn't get anywhere with it.  Seem to have difficulty daydreaming when I have to do it.  Also, went for a walk during lunch where I could say lines out loud without a lot of people around.  I'm trying out the idea of taking a line or word I'm stuck on and practicing saying it with as many emotional states and emphasis as possible.  The idea was suggested at the cold-reading event.  It's to help free up the words from preconceptions of a set meaning, and also, to help you access what you think in your head, so that it comes out that way when you say it.  It doesn't always (it often doesn't.)

Joined another short-term choir for the season.  We are singing for a fundraising event/caroling competition (Figgy Pudding, benefits the Pike Market Senior Center and Food Bank.)  We only have two rehearsals, not sure what we will wear or sing, but you know, I'll find out soon.  It'll be fun, and we get fed.

Walking home last night, both Broadway and Westlake were being decorated with Christmas lights, and the Nordstrom Santa (land?) was being constructed.  It hardly feels close to the holidays for me, in spite of Thanksgiving being a week away, and the change in the weather.  Fall quarter is almost over.

The cold and sun have left, and the warmer gloom has returned.  No shooting stars tonight. Well, none that I can see.

No comments:

Post a Comment