Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Tuesday-Talking out loud

My eyes are blurry from getting olive oil in them.  (Used it to remove mascara.)  Between that and the fact that I really need reading glasses, I had a difficult time filling in the voting bubbles neatly.  The trees are blowing about, and the sky is lightening, I should probably leave soon.  I like that the mornings are brighter, but not that it's dark when I get off of work.  Two more months and the days get lighter again.

I think I'll start asking my classmates for more feedback on the monologues, I sometimes probably offer too much, but the way the class is set up, seems to provide for that.  Normally, you never would, but I find it helpful to see what is hitting someone else, and if they have suggestions of things to consider, I'd like that information to work with.  (Especially with the Shakespeare.)  I find the feedback loop of performer asking or telling what they see the reason for the monologue is, and then the response, etc, great for distillation and clarification of why you have to say this now, and what change you want, helpful.  I have trouble seeing that in my own work, I suppose it's the lack of distance, plus unless you film it, you can't actually see what you are doing (physically.) If there is an audience there, why not ask what they see (both physically, and mind pictures)?

And watching the other people work, and hearing the notes and the feedback, is also useful.  The counterpart monologue to mine got run again, and figuring out what he is really saying is helpful to me, it's one of our last contacts before mine.  (I think he's telling me he loves me, and that I deserve better in life.)  Also, someone did a piece from "Orange Flower Water," and hearing the discussion and feedback of the text and the character made me like it just a little (hated it when I read it last year.)  I can better see the character's frailty and loss, and so can relate to why she did what she did, even if there really are no excuses.

My Shakespeare monologue just doubled in length, I'll need to do some research for that one.

Time to go to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment