Sunday, December 31, 2017

The end of the year

On the last day of the calendar year, the air is cold, but the sun is shining.  Robins chirp and chase each other across the road and into the trees as I walk down the block.  Lots of robins.  Chickadees.  A sparrow.  A lone hummingbird on a bare branch above me.

Lots to do, unmotivated, so I kill time reading Facebook for a while.  Visiting family for a couple of days over the holiday week, staying in a hotel and renting a car, more than enough of a Christmas gift (though I suppose I wouldn't turn down new underwear or wool socks, other than that, don't really need anything.)  Spent the second day in the hotel room, enjoying a clean kitchenette, and a bathroom I wasn't constantly having to clean before even touching anything in.  Distracted all day with writing, then reading, then planning out possible art projects having been suddenly inspired, and napping, because I still wasn't feeling well.  Later, having some regret at not going out and visiting town, or driving out in the countryside I used to know so well, but never have time to visit lately.

Distracted after dinner with the family, for my brother's birthday, and driving back to the hotel, I almost hit another car, but thankfully put my foot back on the brake before the cars made contact.  Forced myself to pay attention.  When I was just about back at the parking lot, I saw what I originally thought might be a large dog off to my right, I slowed down.  It was a deer, long ears, furry against the light in its winter coat.  Then a couple more, a small herd.  After I parked I walked back to see them, further ahead security swept a light across a building, and I thought perhaps I shouldn't be out wandering around in the dark.  They were still there, but I turned and hurried back to the safety of the hotel.

In the morning, before I left for home and to return the car, I stopped to say goodbye to my parents.  My dad suggested taking pictures of the snow geese in the Skagit Valley.  It was too dark, and they were far away.  Mostly crossing the sky, hundreds aloft, the flocks crossing formations with one another, making cryptic patterns in the sky.  One (huge) flock came down to land in a bright green field, swirling en masse, forming a tight white circle of birds on the ground.  Something I hadn't seen before, though I couldn't really pull over, so I just slowed, and glanced repeatedly out the side window as more and more dropped down, widening the circle further and further out.

Back in town, I wondered how I could possibly fill the time of four more days off.  I went out to walk the lake before it rained, choosing the opposite direction than usual.  A white bird landed amidst some crows.  A duck.  No, a goose.  A snow goose, alone, must've got blown off course, lost it's flock.  It wasn't around on Christmas, that I noticed.  The crows harassed it, a lone female mallard seemed open to the company.  I haven't been back, so I don't know if it found its way.

I'll be glad when the holidays are over, and the expectations have passed.  Think I'll go walk a labyrinth later.  They say there is a place to burn things, and I have things I need to let go of.  Let them burn, and start over.

Happy New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment