Saturday, August 16, 2014

Bug bite, show

Internet connection has returned.  Sitting around, pouring vinegar on my elbow in hope that it will help with this bite I got yesterday (unknowingly, walked into the bathroom after the 14/48 show and pulled up my sleeve to look at my elbow and it was swollen to 2x it's size and really hot; never felt anything bite me.)  Went to a potluck at the garden earlier and people offered advice, one of whom was doctor (so my lucky day, in a way) and he said it's mostly just wound care at this point.  Someone else suggested vinegar (as well as the baking soda paste and/or meat tenderizer-can you still buy meat tenderizer?) It's still really hot to the touch and feels like someone punched me hard in the elbow whenever it touches against anything. Apologies for the photo.

Angry elbow, Aug 16/L Herlevi 2014
Initially, I thought my immune system had just decided to go completely nuts (always a possibility) and I was panicking about that prospect.  And then I thought I was having an allergic reaction and wondered if I should go to the hospital.  But I just ended up jumping off the bus and buying benedryl at a convenience store that was open, since nothing is in my neighborhood.  Thought I got lucky in catching a bus with a number I wanted on it, only to have the bus driver say half-way through the route, that he had the wrong route number, although half the route was the same.  Got off and waited another hour for the right bus.  The Seahawks' game had just gotten out, so buses were running late.  In retrospect, coulda' stayed for the 10:30 pm show.  I like seeing them the second time, they are often different (lines more down, change in interaction or meaning, etc.)

The theme was "If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It," and only loosely used in the plays.  (Very loosely.)  Act I: "But New Thoughts Appear in Our Mind," by Pamela Hobart Carter and directed by Maria Glanz (Melissa Fenwick, Sydney Tucker, Jocelyn Maher, and Deniece Bleha) two girls and their pets (birds? gerbils? rabbits?...probable birds, but unclear, something living in a cage.)  Animals talk about escape, but forget, girls have a parallel experience, and eventually one opens the cage, but the birds (?) forget to escape and she decides they don't want change after all.  One of the girls escapes.

"Candiru Means I Love You," by Scot Augustson, directed by Peter A. Jacobs. (Adria La Morticella, Heather Gautschi, Alex Matthews, Jaryl Draper.)  Man in doctor's office with pain in his penis, finds out he has been invaded by a parasitic (?) fish when he pee'd in a river. Problem is solved with singing.

"Olive Juice," by Courtney Meaker, directed by Kathryn Van Meter. (Steven G. Sterne, Brian D. Simmons-who was an excellent dog, and Mik Kuhlman.)  Couple shows up at a block party with their dog who wants to play "ball" but they get into an argument (ongoing) and forget about the dog. Something is resolved.

"The Tukwila 500," by Bret Fetzer and Juliet Waller Pruzan, directed by Peter Dylan O'Connor. (Patrick Gautschi, Brad Farwell, Elicia Wickstead, Imogen Love, Emma J. Bamford.)  Car race.  Announcers discuss the twisted path of the three drivers.  Two women, who became a couple, moved in together in the 'burbs.  One has an affair with other's best male friend, and eventually leaves her for him.  Jilted lover wins the car race, other two walk off as a couple.

Intermission.

Act II.  "Three Girl Pile-Up," by Jennifer Dice, directed by Beth Peterson. (Cody Smith, Jim Jewell, Jake Ynzunza, Joe Zavadil.)  Stage dads at a meet-and-great for the dads at a beauty pageant for their daughters,where they try to out-compete each other and the newbie dad tries to figure out how to fit in.

"Sand Script," by Jerry Kraft, directed by Jen Moon.  (Jesica Avellone, Kevin Bordi, Shawn Law, Meg McLynn.)  Couple chooses to go to "nature" therapy with therapists rather than jail time.  End up shipwrecked on a deserted island.  Therapists bicker, and have only theory, while "troubled" couple work together to save their butts.

"Let's Talk About Monica," Becky Bruhn, directed by Ali el-Gasseir.  (Gin Hammond, Lori Lee Haener, Scott Abernathy, Andy Jensen, Ryan Spickard.)  Two couples outside for a BBQ, discussing their favorite detectives and the death of "Monica" thought to have been murdered by her husband.  Husband shows up with her diary. Ensuing efforts to collect evidence, and stay away from the husband, proceed.

I could see the theme the easiest in the first one and "Sand Script."  Would have liked to have watched the first act again to try to follow them better.  The second act was more cohesive for me, but they also had the extra hour to work on them.  I enjoyed last week's more, but I suspect that might be partially because I was volunteering last weekend and felt more connected to it.  This week, I'm just an observer.  Can't recall what the theme is for tonight.

Even if I can't always follow it, I do enjoy watching new work get created.  And I appreciate the actors committing to whatever they are asked to do and stretch.  And they do.

No comments:

Post a Comment