Thursday, August 21, 2014

Early

Aahhhh, I need to start shooting film again.  Looking at a couple of photographers' work that shoot medium format and film and feeling nostalgic and inspired. Something about a really good negative.  Still finding the balance between "documenting" life vs. "living" it.  In the past, the camera was a barrier, kept me separate and outside, which is why I stopped.  But of course, one can document one's own creations, and there is also a need to record, as a witness: some things need to be seen.

Went to a preview of a dance concert that will be performed in October.  Same friend that invited me to the preview last year invited me again.  I was too intimidated to walk in by myself last year, but fought against that this year and went anyway.  It's the Chamber Dance Company, they are performing excerpts from "Cloudless" by Susan Marshall (2006), "Jardi Tancat," by Nacho Duato (1983), and "To Have and To Hold," by Danial Shapiro and Joanie Smith (1989.)  Beautiful.  Fantastic.  Exciting.  (I found parts of "Cloudless" to be emotionally powerful and (not) a little disturbing, but art should touch you.)  Looking forward to seeing it on the stage (saw it in a rehearsal studio.) Grateful for the invitation.

Speaking of dance, my class ends this week.  And then I will have about a month of free time (although both choirs are starting up again soon, and one of those has an event in September.)  I think I'm gonna switch to tap because I need it for something I'm working on, but if I can find a way to live (really, really) inexpensively, I might drop into the modern classes as well; I like all the core work and body awareness that it incorporates.  My only problem with it is how much weight-bearing we do on our hands (I guess that's common in Seattle), and how much that is hurting my wrist. (Quite a bit.)

I'm having trouble keeping track of what day it is, wondering if I'm running late.  Was looking forward to having time where I could read a book or write or watch a movie for fun, but now that I have it, I lack the attention span to do any of those things (at least this week.) Walk, cook, go to work, and sleep.

Maybe it's the weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment