Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Quiet

In a lull.  Not much to say, though a lot to think about, about what happens next.  Internship ended early today, so I went to the Market, fighting my way through the summer crowds to visit an herb shop.  I have a bug bite that seems to have gotten infected, and in spite of putting anti-biotic ointment on it, (I really don't like using that stuff) it really hurt by the end of the day.  I was planning on buying a tincture, but ended up asking for advice. The woman made me this oil blend of frankincense, tea-tree oil, and lavender oil.  It already looks better.  (And the oil smells really good, there's this menthol quality about it, but not as high as peppermint, it also has this deeper earthy quality to it, like a cedar forest on a hot day.  Amazingly pleasant.)

Came home and the bathroom sink was broken, but also had an email about it, that it will be fixed tomorrow.  (He's definitely being more diplomatic than I have been.) Heard about a block party down the street a ways, and wandered over.  It was nice: there was a potluck, and a brass band played and 50-60 people showed up. (They're going on all over the city tonight. It's part of a neighborhood watch program, a chance to get to know your neighbors and find out what's going on.)

I still love this neighborhood.  There are loads of people around, I can walk out the door and go a 1/2 block and be around people if I want to be, or not.  There are a lot of free places to go if I want to get out of the house (which is different from most of the other neighborhoods I've lived in.)  And while the neighborhood itself is getting rapidly gentrified, there's a wide range of people that hang out around here at any given time.  I'm curious to see how that will change once the daylight wanes and the air gets colder.  I'm here for a year, so I'll get all the seasons.

Don't have a poem or anything.  Rather blank.  Here's a link to my favorite Stevie Wonder song, probably brought onto my radar by the movie "High Fidelity."  Been on a Stevie kick today, yesterday it was the band XTC (or The Dukes of the Stratosphere.) "I Believe When I Fall in Love."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H--_-gPX3Nw

No comments:

Post a Comment