Sunday, August 24, 2014

Later, on Sunday

It's late, I'm hungry, and I have to get up early, so just a handful of things:

I like that Nina lays into Mach over her bitterness and show of "sackcloth and ashes" for "mourning her life."

I like the scenes between Nina and Conrad that deal with the seagull.  The first how happy she is and she compares herself to the seagull.  The second when, in his jealousy, he kills a seagull and throws it at her feet.  And the third when she's lost her mind, and it's four years later, and she asks him if she is a seagull and if so why did he kill her, and how she's thought of that moment over and over again since it happened.  How can you kill someone you say you love? (Even metaphorically.)  And then how could you ever expect them to stay or come back to you? She can't come back now, he killed the opportunity, and something inside her, when he killed the bird.

I like that the role of Dev was recast as a woman, and how she (four years later) tells off Conrad who's wallowing in his misery, saying that he should try to love something more than himself.

I like the character of Dev.

I like the poetry of the "Site Specific" performance.

Oh, and I like how Dr. Sorn points out that no one bothers to really pay attention to anyone else because they're too focused on themselves and what they want and how miserable they are, and blah, blah, blah (actually, other characters use "blah, blah, blah") that they can't see anyone else, who they are, or what they need (even the people they claim to love.)

I like that Dr. Sorn and Dev (and sometimes Nina, she's in the middle) are paying attention, and what they see. (Which is also what we see, and they say the things to the other characters that we probably want to, such as "get over yourself, already!" Though not in those exact words.)

And someone said that it wasn't a remake of "the Seagull" but rather an explanation.  Fair enough.  But I feel a bit "dumbed down" to, just the same.

There are things I specifically liked about this show, this cast, but I'll get to that in another post (perhaps.)

No comments:

Post a Comment