Friday, August 29, 2014

Art

Went to the free day at Bumbershoot, there was the Mayor's Art Awards, and the art exhibits were open.  They were sparsely populated, since most people were hanging out drinking beer and mingling on the lawn, which worked out great for me, since most of the art was interactive, so I got more time with it.  My favorite thing by far, and probably in a long time, was "Black Poem" by Seth David Friedman, where you entered the space and walked up to the table and closed your eyes.  Then you guided yourself across the "words" on the table with your hands.  The "words" were sculptures he had created (for other purposes, I think) and you could touch them.  You were expected to touch them, to explore them.  It was so wonderfully...sensual.  Powerful, because you get to really feel the work, and also because the artist wants you to touch it.  And so often we are told to keep our hands off of things, so there was the permission thing working there as well. (And when I went back around and saw the artist, I almost started crying when I told him how much I liked it.  Really did something for me.)

There were also: a Native American/First Nations Gallery "Wendy Red Star’s Wild West & Congress of Rough Riders of the World” featuring 11 contemporary artists in how they perceive themselves, as well as a reel of film clips using the term "Indian" or "Injun" in the background, things from how Hollywood has perceived them, that made me cringe (the constant slap of the derogatory meaning); Interstitial Theatre had an interactive space, including a piece I saw the artist making in her yard last weekend, so it was cool to make the connection of what it was; "Food for Thought," which included a hydroponic "fish-farm" made by a K-8 class at Madrona, an edible checkers game, and a structure made out of mushroom bricks (as well as a tea, made from the bricks...tasted like it looked, like sawdust; but I drank it, 'cos, how often do you get to drink made from a brick, grown out of mushrooms? right?), among others; and an interactive electronic music thing.  Sorry, I didn't find a program of the art, so I don't have names for most of it.  

In the other art building (former gallery) was a video game exhibit, which I didn't make it into, and a Jini Dellaccio photography exhibit, which I loved.  There was a film about her playing in one of the rooms, I'm gonna have to watch it now.  She was a photographer in the 50's and 60's (at least for this exhibit) and ended up shooting a lot of the up-and-coming rock bands of the era, The Sonics, The Wailers, Neil Young, Merrilee Rush...she was middle-aged when started shooting them (born in 1917.)  Interesting lady.

I know it will be crowded over the weekend, but still worth going in to see the art.  Fantastic work.  Hats off to the curators and the artists.


That's it for me.  I have a pass, but I'm working the entire day, so won't really be able to see anything besides our stage.  Which is okay, I'd probably come see our stage even if I were paying for a ticket.

Happy weekend.  Enjoy the art. (Wherever you are.)

No comments:

Post a Comment