Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Sasquatch sighting

Things back to normal, a normal that has shifted, but not much standing out.  Started serious work on the Sibelius music for March, fun, but difficult. (Venematka.)  I guess we won't be doing Oma Maa until next autumn, we've done it before, but not enough time to get it ready, it's long.

I went to a concert last night, there was a pre-show dinner that I decided to go to, for my birthday, to myself, and I got sat at a group table.  The conversations revolved around, WWII and Eastern Europe, the 1936 Olympics, the Winter War (Finland), Finns, saunas, the Finnish language, and new ways of treating waste water.  When we were leaving the dinner, one of the other guests mentioned a radio station that plays Scandinavian music (KSER?)  I'd mentioned that I sang in the folk choir.

Waiting at the bus stop after the show, some friends stopped their car in the middle of the road to ask if I wanted a ride (again, they don't live any where near me; a week or so ago, some other friends stopped and picked me up because it was raining and drove me to rehearsal, no where near where they were going, been lucky that way.  And my first reaction is always, "why are these people blocking the bus zone?" before realizing they are doing it for me, that I know them.) and so I ran up a block to get in the car (they had to get ahead of a bus), and then we were in the wrong lane because I ride the bus all the time and I assume the driver will know where they are going, which of course, not being the bus driver nor mind readers, they didn't.  So, they had to swerve out of the wrong lane (several vehicles did the same thing) which led to the topic that they had once rented a car, and the driver (a sister) had damaged the car pulling out of the parking garage, and hadn't bought the rental insurance.  Somehow they found a mechanic (in a strange city, mind you) that would repair the car overnight if they paid cash, which I guess happened.  It must've been a good job, they didn't get dinged by the rental company.  Gutsy.

Then the most interesting thing today has been that I went to lunch early, because I was hungry and had an appointment with a furniture vendor during my normal lunch time, so while walking to the Ave, I see a giant (7 foot, maybe) Sasquatch-type figure walking toward me.  At first I wasn't sure if it was Sasquatch or Chewbaca.  As it came closer, I saw it had a Native American mask on, and I think the "fur" was made of what looked like cedar bark.  Not sure what it was (or for.)  I thought it might be for the museum (the Burke) but it walked in the opposite direction across campus, not too many people paying attention to it, oddly enough.  Maybe it walks across campus every day.

When I finished lunch, I saw it coming back in my direction.  It stopped by a car, and eventually the man wearing it stepped out.  Hope someone writes about it.  I have a picture, of its back, striding away, and probably blurry, which seems fitting for a Sasquatch sighting.

Almost done reading the book.  Not remotely anywhere with the clown piece.  I need to go into rehearsal space and move...thinking too much.  I'd like it to be more physical now, plus I need to find a story arc.  When, I do not know, no free time until Sunday, now.

No comments:

Post a Comment