Wednesday, February 11, 2015

The interview thing

The caffeine and nerves have made me giddy. 

This interview replay is hard (for me.)  I have trouble sounding like a human being talking to another human being (which would be the whole point of the acting classes, to learn how to do that) using someone else's words.  It just sounds like I'm reading.  And yes, this is still an acting class, so I need to get beyond that.

But, something I realized from this is that I need to interview longer when possible, not everything will resonate, and if I have more material, I can cut out the stuff that doesn't.  There are a couple of bits that do work, but only a couple.  And I'll have to include the other stuff that's harder to work with because I don't have enough.  It's dry, I guess.  (My instructor called the good questions "juicy", and I agree, and I needed more of them; not as in salacious, but resonate.)  You have to get past the inherent awkwardness.

I also realized I want to do more interviews.  So much of our conversations are practical, immediate needs being met.  Or sometimes we have deep conversations about issues.  We don't often really know the people in our lives, it's certainly a privilege to have that.  Details about our lives maybe seem unimportant in the moment, small things that nevertheless add up to make us, us.  You read these sometimes in obituaries.  I remember last year finding out one of my good friends from high school and I were born in the same town. (I've mentioned it before, it struck me as strange at the time that I hadn't known that.  I did know when her birthday was.  Maybe it wasn't important, but it was interesting.)

For me, both interviewing and being interviewed are definitely a skill, things that take practice.  I've been thinking that for a while.  Putting my foot in now.

At any rate, I'll be glad when tonight is over and I've presented these two things for class.  Almost feel sick now.

No comments:

Post a Comment