Friday, May 1, 2015

Friday

Well, I sent my application in, after which I noticed that the formatting was wacky on the script.  Won't find out until some time in June, so, I'll forget about it for now.

Saw "Kurt Cobain: Montage of Heck" the other night.  First film/book, etc, I've looked at/read/watched since he died (most of those seemed exploitative to me, a way to make a quick buck off of his name.)  Nirvana was the band that broke me out of my "Brit-Pop" phase, and colored so much of that era of my life (Olympia, Seattle, college, friendships, shows, the haunting of record stores, etc.)  It was strange looking at all that again, a lifetime ago, and hearing him speak about his life 21 years after his death, as if he would walk out on the stage again.

Some observations: his childhood was really sad (and pre-Nirvana was the majority of the film); I know there was some controversy regarding the depiction of the drug use, but to me it seemed balanced, didn't demonize nor glamorize it.  It was a part of the picture.  There was a lot of loyalty between Courtney and Kurt (I remember witnessing that before, at a show after Francis was born.)  Why did I not go to the record-release party at Beehive?!?  I lived down the street.  Tabloid and irresponsible journalism suck (eloquent, I know.)  Even at the time, it seemed common knowledge he was in a lot of pain, but what a freaking loss, all the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment