Thursday, May 14, 2015

New Project

Years ago, when I'd first moved back to Seattle, I'd wanted to do a portrait/interview project for people to tell stories about their lives; not newsmakers, just people I encountered on the street or in my life.  It never went anywhere, mostly because I was too afraid to approach people and ask (this would be the main reason I don't do photography much any more, I say it's the cost of equipment now, but in truth, when you're driven enough, you find a way to make it happen.)  Flash forward a few years ago, I was talking to someone else about a similar project, of a particular community, this was based on the idea that we learn more about people at their funerals than we do in life, also it's easier to judge people on one small facet of their lives when we don't know anything else about them, so it's an empathy building project as well.  (The project Humans of New York does this.)

So, that also went no where, life got busy, I suppose.  Last night I went to this committee meeting I haven't been to in ages, and that was brought up once again (through a completely different avenue) because other people have also seen the need.  Anyway, I guess I'm now part of that group, and it's going to happen.  I'm a little less intimidated by the interview process (both due to the performance class during the winter, and due to the fact that we will have a list of questions to choose from, we will promote the project, and there will be both a photographer/videographer and an interviewer at each session.)  I'm excited to finally start.

Took two days off to get my life more together, but then ended up volunteering for the film festival today. (So, not really a day off.) Gotta run.

No comments:

Post a Comment