Friday, May 8, 2015

One extreme to the other

Empowerment.

Had this wonderful experience at On the Boards last night.  A friend had given me her ticket to Complex Movements' "Beware of the Dandelion."  A group-immersion experience (less than 35 people), where we all stood inside a "pod" while video/graphic/music/poetry streamed around us.  There was some audience participation involved.  It was remarkably moving: truths being told that we don't often get to hear, the lasting thought "Wage Love." (It was also a way to make connections between Seattle and Detroit, the company is from Detroit.)

After, we were led out into a room, where everyone said something they were willing to fight for (to "wage love" for.)  Three of us in a row said "affordable housing."

So, from that, came home to our toilet still running (for hours.) I fixed it to the point of it not running and then the landlord showed up.  I walked out of the bathroom just in time to hear him say that he was changing our front lock...it's a bit paternalistic, and we all just signed a lease under certain conditions.  It feels wrong in my gut (especially since he hasn't said when he's doing it, nor why he feels it needs to be done), and I don't want to come home late and be locked out of my house (which would also be illegal, I think.)  Been pissing me off all day.

And then lots of piddly things that wouldn't matter on top of all that...all of which are annoying me more than I'd like them to.  So...I'm in a crappy mood.  (And while there are many reasons not to be, I am.)

I guess I feel like since we signed a lease and are paying for the house we should have some control over our living situation.  It's the lack of knowing, the fact that he changes random conditions and leaves things broken, or un-working, and never knowing where things stand, or having a say (which we should have - none of us want the lock changed.)  He'll do it regardless of what we say.  It's a constant state of instability, of always being on guard, of not having any say in my own life.  I'm not looking for another authority figure.

Dis-empowerment.

Later, lots of art.  And foul mood foiled by a combination of helping someone and the effort of a friend.  Coises!

No comments:

Post a Comment