Sunday, June 7, 2015

Addendum

I wanted to add one more thing about the Markeith Wiley piece.  Near the end, the shadow takes off her mask and hood, stating something to the effect that she's tired, at which point, Wiley walks off the stage.  She's a white woman.  It brings to mind the idea that you can't just take off the color of your skin, (or your gender, sexual orientation, nationality, etc. when you get tired.)  It's not a game.  The discrimination you face is relentless until things around us change, until we all change our own prejudice.

In the lottery of life I'm a white-skinned, straight, woman, born in the USA (which neither makes me better nor worse than anyone else; it's what I am.)  My mother has brown skin, she's Hispanic/Filipino.  My sister is dark, my brother is as well, though he can more easily pass as white.  I don't know how my mother deals with the constant onslaught of anti-brown-skinned people, anti-Hispanic rhetoric, I hear it spoken in her presence and I want to lash out.  We always seem to need to have some "group" to make an enemy and blame all of society's problems on.  It's an ugly, dangerous road.  Fix yourself first.  There are good and bad elements/characteristics in every group, in each of us as individuals.

I think that moment was probably the most important part of his performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment