Monday, June 22, 2015

Staying with the uncomfortable

Tonight was my last night on the tight rope.  Still didn't make it very far, but...something better for me was that on the last try I fought harder to find balance, I had been giving up to soon and stepping down when I felt like I was going to fall, and on that last time, I didn't do that (made it four small steps further, too.)

And now that it's almost over, I'm a lot less self-conscious, especially in partner work.  I'm willing to hold the gaze, to hold that intimacy you can get in performance, without immediately backing down (which is a perfectly normal response out on the street.  You don't hold that with strangers, it's too much.  And we've been taught that well.)  I know the self-consciousness will come back, but maybe it gets easier each time. (It all reminds me of something someone said after the clown class in January, "I feel like I know all of you on some intimate level, but I hardly know anything about your life," because the public mask gets dropped, and you all go through the same types of things.  You share that experience.)

I know it all changes me as a human being, but does it make me a better actor?  I don't know, but I hope so.  I hope the point I fall back to is a little less far each time.

No comments:

Post a Comment