Monday, December 22, 2014

Sunny Monday Morning

Woke up thinking I was late, but when I checked a clock, it was only 4:30 am.  Caught an early bus, an express to Downtown, one side of the freeway in dark brown monotone, minus the odd string of Christmas lights, the other side where the sun was starting to hit, in color.  Something pleasing and inspiring about the moodiness.  The sun is out now, one day post solstice, minutes of extra light now.  Took a picture of the mountain, mostly flat blue, but on the eastern slopes, a white cloud rising up like steam, slowly brightening from the emerging sun.  All nature seeming distant and moody... feels right.  (Listening to moody 80's music, too...also feels about right.  Makes me happy, in a dreamy kinda' way.  Everything seemed possible...if I can hold the feeling, maybe it will be again.  You can always start again.  And I always seem to have started again in depth of winter.)
Moody, December 22/L Herlevi 2014
Went to an Appalachian Christmas concert last night, I arrived a little late, so got seated in the back by the soundboard...if I ever buy tickets again (currently using up all of my comps from working last year), that's what I'll go for: the sound was great.  Ran into a friend during intermission, he commented on what it must be like to grow up in a musical family, where people sit around and play music together.  Made me think of the Sanford Meisner statement that it takes 20 years to be an actor, and how it's just doing the thing that you do until it's so much a part of you, that you can express what you want through whatever media you are using (dance, painting, singing, playing an instrument, sculpture, writing, whatever.)  Time and practice.  Practice.  Practice.  Love.  Desire to do it that over rides any disappointments or set backs.  (Also, just being surrounded by a community that supports you in that.)

Finally went to the Frye yesterday as well.  I got side-tracked (and soaked) on Saturday, so hung around the house most of the day.  Joined a docent tour, which was cool for the other exhibit, Pan Gongkai, but I always like to hear what other people see when they look at art.  Read a bunch of short plays about dating (which had up to seven characters in them), and wrote about the order I want the characters to enter, where I want them on stage.  Need to figure out the game, still.  And I have a lot to get done before Christmas...maybe the car rental place will let me get the car early, they do sometimes, because it makes their lives easier when it's busy.

Happy Solstice! 

No comments:

Post a Comment