Saturday, October 4, 2014

Saturday

The air heavy with dew when I left the house this morning, a little bit cold...summer is surely over.  Was early downtown, so went and had breakfast (a waffle), and then caught a tunnel bus to the International District.  I'm so rarely downtown now, that I sometimes feel like a tourist, an outsider...thinking that makes me wonder if I do feel at home in this city, somewhere I've lived longer than anywhere else, now.  And then I remind myself, yes, the area where I work, and where I live as well.  A fleeting feeling, reminding me of once when I was travelling and I felt like I shouldn't be there, like I was a fraud.  It didn't last, but it's a strange state of mind.  So much had gone wrong, I just wondered if I should stay, or put my tail between my legs and catch a flight home.  In the end, I stayed.  Got over the sensation of trying to hide from an all-seeing eye...deciding that if there were such a thing, I couldn't really hide from it.  Might as well let what will be, be.  I don't know what about this morning made me think that.  I'm not hiding.

Went to a walking tour of the ID from the viewpoint of Asian-American women, and their contribution to the shaping of the history of the district as well as the city.  It's a good way to learn a city.  Finally worked up the nerve to say "hi" to someone I used to know, back when I did theatre in college.  We weren't that close of friends, but I always liked her, thought she was pretty solid.  We had a good conversation, so, I'm glad I did it.  We've been crossing paths a lot in the past few months.  No need to prolong the awkwardness (Do they remember me? Should I say something? Do they hate me? - Your brain doesn't go those places?  Lucky you.)  For the record, I don't really hate anyone I know.

There was a Bruce Lee exhibit opening, http://www.wingluke.org/ and I meant to go back, but wandered around looking for a cash machine connected to a credit union (no fees), so I could go pay a bill, and then ended up checking to see what my options were on getting a pair of boots I'd lost the receipt on, fixed.  I was going to just save up the money to repair them, but recently a friend said the store should be able to look up the receipt, and they did.  Upshot, if I bring them back, they will replace them.  The soles pretty much disintegrated two months after I bought them.  I just haven't had the energy to deal with it.  While there I ended up getting a brow consultation and consequently, waxing my brows (I like my eyebrows just fine, but figured, why not?) and then getting a makeover.  (I hardly ever wear make-up, but I really like getting makeovers, go figure.)  I like it, minus the foundation...I'm kinda' fine with my skin.  So, that was my day.

Now I'm just sitting around listening to music, and emptying more boxes, which freed up space.  Feels less claustrophobic.  (Haven't found the batteries yet.)  Went to a multicultural play festival last night, it was Indian-American.  There's another reading tonight and again tomorrow.  These are staged readings, new works.  I might go again, but I also need to work on the monologue and start doing some character work with the script for the audition.  Also, had an idea for a performance piece that I'm working on fleshing out to see if there's really anything there.  So, at some point, I should write.  Need to put in the work.

No comments:

Post a Comment