Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Procrastination

Got a new script this morning, doing preliminary filming of a scene tonight (for final class projects)  We met last night to talk about what made sense or not.  To try to figure out some sorta' backstory.  I find (in everything) that I tend to want a lot of information before making a decision, which works for purchasing something, but not for working on a script.  I mean, it's better to make any decision and try it and fail, than to not have a point of view.  I'm working on it, all this is good for me, to work through the paralyzing perfectionism.  I try to practice cold reading for the same reason.  It's not life or death, it's okay to be "wrong."  You know, you just choose differently, or the director asks you to change it.  And if I tell myself that enough, maybe I'll live as if I believe it.

Went to this "Bard in a Bar" Hamlet event on Monday, the last in the series, connected with the "First Folio" exhibit at the library.  There were a lot of people there, I went in assuming it would be hard to get to read because everyone else would be vying to read...nope.  Maybe 20-25 people participated, tops.  The woman who put it on was great, and everyone read the "To be or not to be" speech.  (As aside, I just read this advice for choosing monologues that said you should never piece together text to put a monologue together-not everyone feels this way, and you almost have to for women if you want to find an active monologue-, and that a woman should never do a male monologue from Shakespeare, which, again, Shakespeare casting is pretty fluid, so at this point, it's conceivable for a woman to be cast as Hamlet.  I'm guessing the advice is outdated, or at any rate, only one casting director's opinion, so I guess if you audition for him, don't do those things.  I mean, if you can own it, why not?)  People did short scenes, and then there was a synopsis, and then another short scene, etc...Anyway, I got Hamlet near the end, and my friend got Laertes, so we got to have a fight over the grave of Ophelia.  Later, I thought we should've fought like boxing rabbits, the Three Stooges came to mind.  It was all very non-serious, non-precious.

I'm writing to procrastinate dealing with medical bills.  I did open it, saw the amount.  I can submit a medical reimbursement, I just have to get the amounts to match (they were all submitted twice.)  I'll feel less stressed if I just do it...and yet, I back away from it like it's a venomous animal.  Curious.

(Wow.  The most expensive thing on the bill was for an off-the-shelf hand splint, $500.  Would've been $30 in a drug store had they had them.)

No comments:

Post a Comment