Saturday, April 30, 2016

Saturday

8 pm and it's still light out.  A gorgeous evening light.  I can't remember if I'd been planning on doing anything tonight, but at any rate, I'm sitting here at home, finally doing laundry.  A single bird sings in the distance; engulfing all other sounds, is the constant drone of freeway traffic.

Woke up early, itching to get out of the house, finally went out to get coffee, and walked over to the little slice of paradise down the street, staying longer than I'd planned, because while the air was chilly, the rising sun was warm, and walking seemed like a good idea.  My real reason for leaving the house was to buy ingredients for a cake.  Our garden had a bake sale today (and tomorrow) and I needed to make something.  Made the apple cake again, this time mixing things in the right order (but it made no difference in the outcome at all, so I guess it doesn't really matter), and switching in a pear for one of the apples.  Sold all of it, people said it was good.  (So, yay!)  We use the money to buy tools, and soil ammendments (this is a very old garden), and for maintenance of the garden.

After my shift at the sale, I bought too many plants (only three tomato plants this time, although, three different squashes as well, which will take up a lot of space) and though I wasn't dressed for it, spent the next three hours weeding, and planting, and generally crawling around in the dirt...getting my microbial fix.  The garden looks better.  The lettuce never did germinate, maybe I should plant something else there.

And everywhere, everyone in a rush to get to the next phase of...?  My neighbor already has ripe artichokes, and my leeks are getting ready to flower.

We're shooting our new script tomorrow...haven't seen it yet, so no prep, then.

No comments:

Post a Comment