Sunday, April 17, 2016

Sunday, trying to not freak myself out

Nothing like the tedium of the democratic process and Robert's Rules of Order to knock me out of my obsessive morbid thoughts regarding the stomach biopsy.  I'm still freaked out about it, really hoping for a damaged vocal chord, an ulcer, or a hernia or something, but of course my mind goes completely to "Oh, god, I'm dying of cancer!"  Which isn't helped by the fact that my coworker just died of esophageal cancer at age 52, and she's one of five that I've known of recently.  So, it's unfortunately on my brain.  Anyway, that's Thursday, wish me luck, or something.  The woman who's taking me, and staying with me, asked me if I was nervous...um, terrified, at times, though not always.  I tell myself worrying doesn't actually help, though the lizard part of my brain still freaks out.

Anyway, four hours of the caucus was a welcome distraction.  Over 300 people vying for 31 delegate spots for the next level of the process.  And they all got 20 seconds to pitch for themselves.  We were halfway through the women (identifying) candidates when I had to leave (we chose 16 women and 15 men).  All the women seemed worthy, and I voted for the men randomly.  We had to be out of the space by 6 pm.  I think I left at 4:45, we didn't start hearing the potential delegates until just after 4 pm, I had to get home as a friend was picking me up to take me to this benefit dinner.  I just got home from that.

It was a fundraiser for the Elizabeth Gregory Home, the 10th annual dinner.  My friend bought my ticket, though I did end up donating, as I got my tax return this weekend.  I was on a program committee years ago, before it was built, when we were trying to decide what we wanted to achieve.  Our dream at the time had to be scaled back, but little by little, the offerings are growing, for instance, they just added a wellness center, and showers (a very rare thing if you're living on the street.)  Anyway, that took my mind off of my own problems as well, and I liked seeing how much the community of support has grown, it started out as just our church supporting it.  (There is transitional housing for women, plus a drop-in day center with a kitchen, laundry, showers, space to rest, people to talk to, access to services to help get back on your feet, and somewhere to belong.  A place where you are not invisible.  A place that's safe.  A place where you matter.)

We did our first go-round of filming for the final projects last night.  All in a studio, and one of the actors had something come up, so one of the other actors played two parts.  It's mostly just for story structure, so, while it's amusing that one character is played by two different actors (because we shot part of the footage with all four of us last week), the gist is there.  The directors will see them tomorrow night, and then rewrite, and we will rehearse on Wednesday in class.  I think our director will send us an edit of the film tonight to see, to get a sense of what is coming across, since we won't see them in class (I think the Monday night room is too small to accommodate everyone), the actors usually only show up on Wednesdays.

The film process is interesting, in that you make character choices as for stage, but unlike stage, which has a character arc you can follow while you're performing it, film is often shot in chunks of a few lines, and out of sequence, so the arc is broken up.  I don't know if one is better than the other, but they are different ways of working.  Anyway, curious to see how it fit together in the end.  We're filming at least two more times in class, and then again for the final.

I suppose it's too late now to drop off overdue library materials...just haven't been home long enough to do it.  MaƱana, it is.

(6 am, just saw the footage:  That was hilarious with the same actor playing both parts.  R's gonna say I was "pushing," I agree, mostly too hot emotionally.  Not enough nuance.)

No comments:

Post a Comment