Monday, March 31, 2014

New quarter, sun is shining

Class started up again, out of the gate sprinting.  Lots of work.  Lots of reading.  Some plays I need to try to track down.  We need 15-minute, two-person scenes and I've realized that in a couple of the plays I've been looking at, there always seems to be someone walking in, so maybe not usable.  I should probably look at two-person plays.  We did a cold-reading thing at the end of class last night, got "The Lion in Winter," might look more at that, though I'm not sure how old Eleanor is.  Also, since we only have five men and eight women, need to find some good two-women scenes.  Maybe I'll look at "The Children's Hour" again.  Just needs to be balanced, character-wise.  We also have a nursery-rhyme group project, an emotional memory assignment, scenes from "Hedda" or "Miss Julie" among others.

We sang that swoon-worthy arrangement of the 23rd Psalm yesterday.  Eye-rolling in the back of the head good, I wish we had a reason to sing it again, but onto the next thing.  Another lesson in letting things go.  Just contacted a place where I possibly dated someone, unsure...I don't know.  I don't think we are on bad terms.  A little weird, but totally affordable.  Yesterday, I heard back from someone explaining that what they were renting was actually a hallway.  A hallway.  $500.  We need rent control.  Someone figured that you need to make around $21/hr to actually afford to live here.  I also checked low-income apartments, I did a calculation to see if I was eligible.  I am, but the apartments are $750-$850/month for a studio (more than a third of my income.)  It's not much different than any other studio.  It's getting kinda' scary.  People need to be able to live somewhere, and I don't mean stacked up in "pod" apartments like a bunch of gerbils.  It's greed.

No comments:

Post a Comment