Sunday, March 30, 2014

Back home again

The other show I went to was "Seattle Vice."  A work in progress, I think, in the Central Heating Lab.  A cabaret/brothel set in Seattle in 1965, when there was a lax in the vice laws.  The story line was good in the first half, but got too meandering in the second.  Interesting idea, but rough around the edges.  Fairly raunchy (as the man next to me commented.)  And a very full, and mixed audience, skewing older (60's +) which was interesting to be in...like watching burlesque with my parents, which would be odd.  In their defense, this was only the second night, it runs through the 9th.

The person I spoke to on the phone to reserve the ticket had made the comment that seeing "Little Shop of Horrors" had easily covered the cost of the pass when I asked for a ticket to this show as well (as to why I was going to two shows in the same day.)  The ACT pass is a great deal and they are one of the better houses at offering pay-what-you-can, so I'm not meaning to bitch about ACT (nor the Rep who have free TPS tickets), but theatres, in general, might sell more tickets if they weren't so expensive if you're over 25.  The seat I had sold for $69, I don't know a lot of artists that can regularly afford that, I realize that might be part of the reason for the ACT pass, and there are discounted "industry" nights, or previews, but if you work in theatre, you need to go see shows, and it adds up.  You can volunteer around town, of course, but you also have to make time to do your own work.  Both these show were presumably sold out (though there were empty seats of no shows at the first one.)  But I've gone to a lot of shows with half-full houses...discount the tickets, get butts in seats.  (Comes up in the discussions all the time, about what's not working.  I know there are bills to pay, I want the artists to get paid a fair wage whenever possible, and I want the spaces to exist, but I also want more people to be able to see the work and if the houses are half-empty...I know money's not the only reason people aren't showing up, but it is a barrier.) We are not all rolling in dough once we turn 26, and the difference is like $20 if you are 25 and under vs. $69 for everyone else.  Steep.  That's my bitch for the night. (And I know this issue has existed forever.)

I need to take some sorta' dance class...both shows made me think that. (And the pole dancer's routine reminded me a lot of aerial work, very similar, and she was incredibly strong.)  I'm thinking of hip-hop or tap.  'Night.

No comments:

Post a Comment