Sunday, June 8, 2014

I suppose it's Sunday now

Can finally open the window again, now that the wasps have gone to bed; waited a couple of hours for the wasp that came in the wide open window to re-find it and exit.  I said it must be a metaphor for continually banging your head against a dead-end wall when there's another answer open to you, immediately after which, it miraculously found it's way out.  Interesting.  (Only one of the windows has a screen and it helps to cool it down to open both.  It's hot up here.)

Went to the mainstage show at NW New Works, weekend one, tonight.  It was good, but I liked the studio set better.  Tonight was interesting, the choreography and dancing were ridiculous (-ly good), but I think I prefer to have some narrative and last night had more, and I just connected more to the performances.  I suppose the difference was that tonight I was watching a spectacle, and last night I was invited in to the story.  Granted, the venue last night was much more intimate.  (And I just really like storytelling.)  Also, there's only so much static/distortion/flickering/flashing lights I can handle in a night, and it seems like everyone is doing that now, so it kinda' loses it's effectiveness, and just irritates me.  And there was a lot of that tonight.  All the pieces were good on there own, but maybe the line-up coulda' had a strongly narrative piece thrown into the mix (or a blurb in the program-thank you ilvs strauss for yours-about background for any of the work.  I'm not familiar with any of these performers, so didn't have any "in" into the work.  But still, nice to look at, even if that's only a superficial appreciation.) Yes, there was a singing piece that had a little narrative, but it wasn't enough.  My favorite was the first one, although at some point, it felt like two pieces, there was a little disconnect, but I liked the movement especially when two dancers would separate off from the rest and do a back-and-forth tumbling/dancing thing, keeping one constantly evolving point of connection between them, plus the choreography was super tight.  (The Pendleton House, From the Middle to the Edge.)

It was good, I'm glad I went.  Glad it was a sold out house, too, so the performers got seen.  I appreciate the work and that they are all putting something new out in the world.

Let's see if the internet connection lasts long enough to let me sign out.  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment