Sunday, June 8, 2014

More on that, again

I don't suppose it's fair to expect that every performance is trying to make a deeper connection with the audience, maybe they just want to be entertaining or to look good or to put on a good show.  While I don't suspect that's necessarily true here across the board, I'm also aware that I'm projecting my wants and expectations of those being met onto the performers, for what it's worth.  For me, art is a way of exploring our common humanity, and getting at truths that aren't always attainable through rational means, and it does a fantastic job of that, but that doesn't mean that everyone else has to feel the same way.

And the thing about the programs, I know there's not a whole lot of room, and I realize you want to give a little background about the artists, but sometimes programs (in general) can feel like you are trying to sell the audience on you, telling us what you've accomplished and convincing us that you are worthy of our time and money...but we've already bought the ticket by the time we see the program. (It sometimes feels like the highlights of a resume, like you are applying for a job with us...one you've already got.) You already have us...invite us into the work you are presenting, more than a title.  Some of these bio pages offer nothing at all about what the current work is.  Tell me: what is it, what inspired it, why are you doing it now?  Doesn't have to be long, give me something, anything.  I want to be there with you, I want to like you.  It's like they say about auditions, the auditors are on your side, they want you to succeed.  And you have...give me an intro to the story...then tell it the way you do best, through dance, movement, song, narrative text, whatever.

I'm done now.

No comments:

Post a Comment