Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Elämä on

"Elämä on." Which I learned yesterday is the finnish equivalant of something akin to what "c'est la vie" is in french. I don't know why that came up, but it got written up on the board. Do we have a good short way to say this in english? (Do we capitalize languages in english? I've lost track, or what words are capitalized in spanish...or finnish...or french.) I also really like "je regret" (maybe it's j'ai le regret or je suis désolée) and "lo siento".  The french is pretty buried, I only remember it in part, "Je t'aime (name of city)" I said (enthusiastically) to a strange woman once. I think I scared her.  I meant to tell her that I loved that particular city, but of course, that isn't what I said. (I (enthusiastically!) told her I loved her, instead.)  Living and studying in Finland would of course be good for learning these sorts of things, but elämä on, and to every other outcome that never occured or turned out differently or whose door was shut, "j'ai le regret, pero, elämä on:)"

No comments:

Post a Comment