Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Late, long week

Got an email tonight (thankfully) reminding me that I am working tomorrow night (and Friday.)  So, every night I don't have class, I'm working.  Ugh. Tonight was fun, we had to sing again, and I forgot the lyrics to a song I know pretty well, and we have to have a song and an object either Thursday or Sunday...I lost track, for the Spoon River character.  I wore a fairly constrictive skirt and then had to crawl across the floor trying to find my partner and then wrestle him off a filthy mattress (I was blindfolded.  There were obstacles.)  I only mention the latter because I'm trying to convince myself that I really need to take a shower tonight.  We all had over-the-top physical actions we had to do in order to figure out the one thing the character wants.  I have ideas for the object, but not for the song.  The song just has to get us in the door, so to speak.  Another means to prepare for the first moment, to get you on the stage.  Now I feel itchy.

It's all fun, but I feel short on time to get prepared.  And I'm always nervous before class, I like to have a lot of downtime before class starts: know that I'm not rushed, that I'm there on time.  On Sundays I usually leave 2-3 hours before class starts, otherwise, I just pace around the house.  It might be partly the introversion.  Almost finished with the book: "Quiet. The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking," by Susan Cain.  It's due back, but because there are so many holds, I can't recheck it out; trying to finish it.  She talks about people needing to recharge, especially when you stretch past your normal limits, even if you love what you are doing, it can still be draining.  Makes all my need for solitude, for walking being my favorite part of my day, and for needing to be in nature make sense.  And I'm grateful to realize that I'm not the only one that needs those things.   I love singing and performing and being around people, but I really need to retreat and be alone afterwards.  (When I was in Finland, I was like a caged dog, because there was no time to be alone.  I could feel myself snap.)  And reading that a lot of other people also need that, is a sorta' reassurance and permission that I can take that for myself.

At least need to wash my feet.  Ciao.

No comments:

Post a Comment