Saturday, May 10, 2014

Avoidance

Ah homework, how do I procrastinate thee, let me count the ways...at least the house is cleaner, and I have food.  (I ended up moving into the house that I had mentioned was dirty.)  Got rid of 13 lbs of documents (they charge by the pound, though, they gave me 50% off.)  Sat and read theatre-related article, but not the actual script.  (Actually talked about actors procrastinating, which seemed gratifying somehow, or at least that I'm not alone in practicing avoidance.)

I went to the diner nearby, and was sitting at the counter, writing.  The man next to me commented that I wrote fast, and we got into a long conversation about handwriting and the value of learning/teaching it in schools, and how it helps you to remember and gain more from class (he's a teacher.)  He's says he writes more with typing.  I like both, I use handwriting for thought generation and memory, and computers for writing papers because of the ability to cut and paste.  He commented that his ideas were more thought out with handwriting, and I commented back that that's because when we went to school, you hand wrote papers, and if you made a mistake, you'd have to start all over again, whereas with computers, you have the freedom of being able to edit easily, which is a godsend.  (I'm 50:50 with that, I can have clear/unclear thoughts with either, but I enjoy handwriting. Plus you can do it anywhere and not have to lug some device around.)

I also think handwriting is good for your brain.  And it's how I got good grades in school, I wrote down everything, hardly ever looked at it again, but I think it made a deeper impression in my memory by using multiple senses to receive the information.  My notes are terribly disorganized, I am disorganized (as all these boxes I'm surrounded by can attest to) but thorough; and the latter is another good reason for being able to write fast, or perhaps, the reason that I do.  It parallels rehearsal in a way, when you get the script up on it's feet, in some manifestation of movement, of back and forth speaking, connection, you discover truths of the character, of the play, through your body that alluded your brain when you only read the material.  The physical action helps connect ideas.

And here I am writing, procrastinating the only thing I absolutely have to still do today.  Half the day gone.

A thousand ways to avoid working. A thousand ways to avoid saying what you want to actually say even though you know it's true.

No comments:

Post a Comment