Sunday, May 11, 2014

May 11

Oh my god, the scene is way too long, but not sure where to cut it.  I've got pages of writing and I'm barely half-way through it.  The section we discussed cutting has the gist of the play for Carolyn in it, she suddenly finds the language and says, "Nobody explores another person all alone.  You only get in where they let you in.  I never meant that there wasn't more of you to find.  I only meant I was tired of trying to find it alone." (Lee Blessing, Riches.)  Which still doesn't register with him on a deeper level, he then comments that there's hope, because she says there's more of him to know, completely ignoring the little part about not letting her in.  She's banging on the door, and yet for him, it's still all about him.  Sorry, buddy, there ain't no "hope" there if you can't hear what she's saying.  (They still are not speaking the same language, one both can hear.  It's sad: how loneliness exists in a relationship.)

Anyway, have to get what I understand into my body now.  (And finish this dialogue with the text.)

Happy Mother's Day to all who are or have been a mother to someone, whether you have your own kids or are looking out for others who need it.  Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment