Tuesday, April 15, 2014

After class

I was thinking earlier that I can't imagine anything else we do this year will be as terrifying as the mirror and "I should have" exercises, but that doesn't mean there isn't a ton of work to get done.  Lots and lots of homework and rehearsals this quarter, it's more like being in a regular class now: text analysis, and scene work...we have to actually "study" in a way.

We did grid work in period costume tonight, dealing with power relationships.  I had a corset half on (it wasn't tight enough), it was particularly complicated to tie (I had a tank top on underneath it) but it's amusing to think I was still thinking of myself as upper class in that state of dress.  I was imagining my interactions as if I were Julie...and that was interesting, I had real stories going on for most of it, and I usually have had trouble with that.

My big take away from the night, working on Hedda in particular, was that we don't take the chances in life that we should when we have the opportunity.  We hem and haw and always think there is time, but that window doesn't last forever.  Do you spend your life with regret?  Hedda and Lovborg...they both end up destroyed and then dead; two people who probably should have been together, but both lacked courage when the moment was right.

Not sure what I get from Miss Julie yet...push and pull to see who will cross the line first.  A (life and death) power struggle.

In other life, still need a place to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment