Thursday, April 24, 2014

Thursday

Had a rehearsal for the nursery rhyme thing after work last night and then went to a show at On The Boards, a friend had mentioned it earlier in the day and another friend had given me a comp ticket that I needed to use.  It was a performance piece with two men, presumably friends, throwing out a subject and then deciding if it was a "winner" or a "loser" and discussing why they thought that.  By the end it gets viciously personal, though I won't say about what, and it ends at a point of unresolved tension.  I was telling one of my colleagues that I kinda' wished they'd just punched each other (or I coulda' punched one of them...in reality, I never would, but I kinda' wanted to), something to release the tension.  And we were saying to each other that we like things resolved in theatre, but then I thought, yeah, but to not resolve it is more like life...it's how we are:  We walk away.  We leave things unresolved. We kill relationships because we need to be right.  We kill good relationships because we need to be right, or for the inability to apologize or forgive.  (Part of liking resolution on stage, I suppose, is that we can see how it could've been.  As if there were a do-over for what's unresolved in our memories.)  How do you do that night after night?  They must resolve it somehow, or you'd just end up avoiding or grudgingly acknowledging each other.  And yet, there is also something liberating in being able to be forthright in a relationship and still retain the friendship...you should be able to express yourself, and be able to live with disagreement and the differences between you and still love each other.

Anyway, I'm curious how it's different each night.  There must be improv in there with set points that they hit.  There was also an insightful write up about the performance in the program (!) (So, yea!)

There's a workshop with the performers on Saturday, that I signed up for (I have another commitment in the morning anyway.) And after the show I was thinking, "Do I still want to go?"  Today, "Yes, I do."  It's an active workshop and I want to learn from as many people as possible, and to work on freeing myself up to generating new ideas, to be actively creative.

Seven days. Shit.

No comments:

Post a Comment